In order to process, you must:
- Have filed an application to graduate with the University Registrar. Eligible co-terms may also apply to process by completing an application to "walkthrough."
- Be attired in cap and gown.
- Show your Stanford Student ID for entry into the procession lineup area.
All student graduate candidates are subject to search as a condition of entry onto the Stadium field.
Arrive no later than 8:30 AM.
June 13, 2015
The Baccalaureate celebration on Saturday morning is a multi-faith ceremony – a time of thanksgiving and reflection for graduates, their families, and friends. The celebration begins at 9:30 AM.
All Candidates report to Memorial Church by 8:30 AM in cap and gown.
- The Chief Baccalaureate Marshal will meet you inside Memorial Church to provide general information and explain procedures for the procession and seating in the Main Quadrangle.
- When it is time for the procession to line up, the marshals will come to the front of the church and lead the candidates. The chief marshal will lead the procession.
- Please follow the marshals' instructions and remain in your assigned column. You will be seated in the Main Quadrangle with the people in front and back of you in line, NOT those beside you.
- Marshals will guide you to your seat. Upon reaching your row, please move in quickly to prevent the backing up of the column.
- Remain standing until the platform party has reached the stage. After everyone has been seated on the stage, you may be seated.
- The Baccalaureate celebration will last approximately one hour. Immediately following the benediction and drumming blessing, there will be a recession of the platform party.
June 14, 2015
All Candidates report to Gate 1 by 8:30 AM in cap and gown. A current Stanford ID is required as a condition of entry into the stadium ceremonies.
- Please put on your cap and gown before starting to march. The ceremony begins at 9:30 AM. A black cap and black gown are required for all graduates processing in the main Commencement ceremony.
- Bottled water and Commencement programs will be available as you enter Gate 1 that leads to the main field.
- Golf Carts: No golf carts will be allowed into the Stadium. If you have mobility concerns, please make arrangements to be driven down to the Stadium field by a member of the Diversity & Access Office, who will be stationed at Gate 1 of the Stadium.
- Please follow the faculty marshals' instructions and take your position on the field.
- If you wish to sit next to a particular graduate, please plan accordingly.
- The marshals and staff from Stanford Events will guide you to your seats on the field. Upon reaching your row, please move quickly into it to prevent the backing up of the column.
- Be seated until the faculty procession begins, then please stand and remain standing until all faculty have been seated on the stage.
- During the ceremony and following the Commencement address, Provost Etchemendy will ask you to stand to be presented for the conferral of your degree by the university president. You may be seated as soon as President Hennessy confers your degree.
- No diplomas are awarded at this ceremony.
- Following the Benediction, please stand for the faculty recession.
- After the recession, report to the location of your major department's diploma ceremony, as indicated on the last page of the Commencement program.
Weekend Ceremonies General Information
Processional/Ceremony: Only eligible candidates who filed an application to graduate in the current academic year with the University Registrar can participate in the procession or in the graduate seating area on the field. The academic year consists of Summer (prior year), Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. Candidates must also be attired in the appropriate cap, gown, and hood to participate. No one else is allowed in the procession or in the graduate seating area on the field.
Personal Items: There is no place to leave valuables such as coats, sweaters, purses, or cameras during the Commencement weekend ceremonies. If you bring these items, please plan to carry them with you.
Smoking: No smoking is allowed during the processions or in the seating areas during Commencement weekend ceremonies.
Alcoholic Beverages: No alcohol is allowed before, during, or after the ceremony processions, or in the seating or surrounding areas during the ceremonies. Violation of this rule may result in ejection from the ceremonies.
Pets: No pets are allowed in the ceremony locations except for service animals working with persons who have disabilities.
Golf Carts: No golf carts will be allowed in the Stadium. If you have mobility concerns, please make arrangements to be driven down to the Stadium field by a member of the Diversity & Access Office who will be stationed at the Gate 1 of the Stadium.
Disability Information: Please visit the Disability Information section of this website or contact the Diversity & Access Office directly at (650) 725-0326 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more information regarding campus accessibility or services for those with mobility concerns.