- Are tickets required? Is there any limit on how many people I can invite?
- Are there any restricted items and/or security requirements?
- How do F1 or J1 students obtain a Letter of Invitation?
- What if it rains?
- What are the Gores, Dinkelspiel and Cuthbertson Awards which are given at the Commencement Ceremony?
- What vendors and services will be available at the Stadium on Sunday, June 17?
- How do I obtain a copy of the Commencement speeches?
- What campus transportation is available during the weekend?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to our frequently asked questions.
Tickets to most events are NOT required, and generally there are not limits on the numbers of people individuals can bring. There are exceptions, and some events do require an RSVP. Please see below for some of the main ceremony requirements:
No tickets are required, but seating is limited. Please arrive early and allow time to park and walk to the Main Quadrangle.
No tickets are required to attend the main Commencement ceremony and there is no limit to the number of guests you may bring.
Generally, no tickets are required to attend diploma ceremonies; however, some departments may require tickets or reservations due to the limited capacity of a venue. Please contact your school or department for further information about these events.
No tickets are required.
Senior Dinner on the Quad
This event is exclusively for graduating seniors. Reservations are required.
Stanford University has implemented a clear bag policy to provide a safer environment for the public and expedite entry into Stanford Stadium for Commencement 2018. Please review the clear bag policy and FAQs prior to attending the ceremony to see a list of prohibited bags. A printable PDF overview is also available to download.
Additionally, in the interest of all guests attending the event, please observe the following restrictions:
- No artificial noise makers, air horns or megaphones.
- No umbrellas, poles, banners, large signs, flags or laser pointers, or incendiary devices.
- No promotional items with commercial slogans or identification.
- No weapons or anything that could be mistaken for one.
- No drones or any unmanned flying vehicles allowed in the Stadium or anywhere on the Stanford campus during Commencement Weekend.
- No alcohol or smoking is permitted at any of the events and ceremonies.
- No strollers are allowed into seated areas of the Stanford Stadium. Guests attempting to park strollers in these areas will be required to remove them. A stroller check area will be provided for your convenience near Gate 3 of the Stadium.
Please note: These policies may also apply to other Commencement related events throughout the weekend. Stanford has the authority to prohibit these and any other items deemed to be a security or safety risk. All items are subject to search upon entry. These policies are subject to change without notice.
The Office of Special Events & Protocol and Bechtel International Center are no longer providing letters of invitation. Instead, students are advised to write their own invitation letters, along with providing supporting documents.
If it is determined due to severely inclement weather that we must utilize the rain plan, it will be announced by 7:00 AM on Saturday, June 16 for the Baccalaureate celebration and by 7:00 AM on Sunday, June 17 for the main Commencement ceremony on the Stanford Radio Station - KZSU 90.1 FM, and other available radio stations in the area. Information will also be added to the Commencement homepage with further details regarding rain plan locations of events.
5. What are the Gores, Dinkelspiel and Cuthbertson Awards which are given at the Commencement Ceremony?
These awards acknowledge excellence in various contributions made by Stanford faculty, students and staff. Visit the Registrar's Awards page for more information.
A small selection of vendors will be set up around the stadium perimeter on Sunday, June 17. The vendors are anticipated to be on-site until just after the main Commencement ceremony concludes. These vendors include:
Ah Sam Florist – Flowers and leis will be available for purchase at Gates 2, 4, and 6. To arrange flower pickups in advance, or for more information, please visit Ah Sam’s website or contact Ah Sam Florist directly via phone: (650) 341-5611 or email: email@example.com.
Stanford Bookstore – The Stanford Bookstore will have a variety of Stanford apparel and more available for purchase at Gates 4 and 6, and in Sections 108 and 118.
Stanford Quad Yearbook – Purchase a copy of the Stanford Quad Yearbook from their tables in front of Ticket Window #2 and between Gates 3 & 4.
Stanford Student Store – This student-run non-profit will be selling Stanford apparel at their tables located in front of Ticket Window #2 and between Gates 3 & 4.
Stanford Daily – Pick up the special Commencement edition of the Stanford Daily at all gates.
First Aid: A First Aid station is located at Gate 2.
Lost and Found: The Lost and Found table is located at Gate 2.
Stroller Check: Stroller check will be located OUTSIDE of Gate 3. Strollers are not allowed inside of the Stadium.
Bag Check: Complimentary bag check will be located at Cobb Track/Angell Field.
Links to the recordings of key note speeches will be available in the weeks following Commencement.
Videos of keynote speeches, as well as highlights of the entire weekend, will be available on Stanford's YouTube channel.
Stanford on iTunes will also present an audio podcast of the ceremony.
KZSU 90.1 FM, Stanford's radio station, will provide a live broadcast of the main Commencement ceremony.
Limited Marguerite shuttle service will be available throughout the weekend. Please check the Weekend Parking & Transportation page for details as they become available.