No tickets are required
Stanford alum Sterling K. Brown, who recently made history by becoming the first African-American to win both the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Award and Golden Globe for best actor in a dramatic TV series, will give the 2018 Commencement address at Stanford on Sunday, June 17.
“Sterling K. Brown is an eloquent role model for an entire generation, inspiring us with moving performances that not only bring life to each character, but also impart to the world a deeper understanding of our society,” said Stanford President Marc Tessier-Lavigne. “I am so pleased that Sterling will be coming back to Stanford this June to further inspire all of our graduates at Commencement.”
Live Webcast and Broadcast
Audio and Video Recordings
General Ceremony and Event Information
For the comfort of families and guests: The following suggestions may make the Commencement ceremony more enjoyable.
- Dress for the heat; light clothing is advisable.
- Hats, visors, and sun block are highly recommended.
- Bottled water will be available in the Stadium, but you may wish to bring your own water as well.
- Light refreshments will be available for purchase at the Stadium during Commencement.
- Umbrellas will not be permitted, as they block the view of other guests.
- Smoking is prohibited in the Stanford Stadium and all other indoor and outdoor spaces holding events during the weekend.
Public Safety Clear Bag Policy - New for 2018
Stanford University has implemented a clear bag policy to provide a safer environment for the public and expedite entry into Stanford Stadium for Commencement 2018. Please review the clear bag policy and FAQs prior to attending the ceremony. A PDF overview is also available to download.
Complimentary Bag Check
Guests with bags or items that do not satisfy the Stanford Stadium Bag Policy are welcome to bring them to the complimentary bag check station, located at Cobb Track/Angell Field. The bag check station opens two hours before the ceremony begins and closes one hour after the conclusion of the event.
Stroller Check Area
Due to safety regulations, no strollers are allowed in the seating areas of the Stadium. For your convenience, a stroller check area will be provided near Gate 3 of the Stadium.